Explore the cultural richness and spectacular scenery of two remote areas of China. Deep in the south of the country, Yunnan is China’s most ethnically-diverse province with more than half the country’s minority groups. In ancient towns and villages you will see them going about their lives as they have for centuries. By contrast Tibet offers remarkable monasteries, stunning high-altitude scenery and people whose level of devotion and faith seems to belong to another era. After experiencing this unique culture, from the vibrant city of Lhasa travel on the world’s highest railway on a spectacular journey to Xining. Tour manager Andrew Matheson would like to share two of his favourite parts of China, and has developed this itinerary in collaboration with an expert local guide. This tour takes you off the well-trodden tourist paths and gives a real local experience.
Your tour manager is Andrew Matheson, who lived in Beijing for three years while he was Deputy Ambassador at the New Zealand Embassy. During that time Andrew travelled extensively throughout China, both on official business and for holidays. His family holiday in Yunnan and business travel in Tibet were among the highlights.
Andrew is a keen and adventurous traveller who enjoys exploring off the beaten track in different countries. His careers as a diplomat and an international development consultant have seen him travelling widely, and working in remote places on pretty much every continent in the world.
Andrew applies his keen organisational skills to make sure the trip runs to plan and delivers the best for all tour members. He enjoys making tours a special and memorable experience for group members, and looks forward to sharing Yunnan and Tibet with you.
DATES Saturday 1 – Friday 21 June 2019
- The services of an experienced New Zealand based Calder & Lawson tour manager
- Tours with English speaking local guides as detailed in the itinerary
- Economy class airfares
- 18 nights accommodation in China (one on a train)
- Breakfast daily
- Other meals as specified in the itinerary
- Water and snacks
- All group transfers as detailed in the itinerary
- Admissions as detailed in the itinerary
- Activity fees
- Donation to cultural or ecological project, such as solar equipment in villages
- All tips for local guides and other service providers
- Pre-tour material
- Permit for travel to Tibet
- Airline taxes
- Travel insurance
- Fee for Chinese Visa
- Personal expenses
- Meals not specified in the itinerary
- Beverages during included meals, unless specified
- Hotel or airport porterage
TOUR PRICE ex Auckland
Share twin per person NZD$10,959
Single supplement (limited availability) NZD$1,089
Please contact Calder & Lawson Tours if you are interested in a single occupancy place.
GROUP SIZE Minimum 10, maximum 18