Bike and Barge – the perfect travelling combo! By bike, soak in the sights and sounds of the countryside and then come ‘home’ each night to a comfortable cabin in your floating ‘hotel’. The fun begins when you board your barge in the city of Mantua. En route you will discover Ferrara, a jewel of the Italian Renaissance; cruise through the Po Delta Reserve experiencing the tranquility of Northern Italy and end in the warm embrace of the Venetian Lagoon. Cycling into Venice is a special experience and you’ll have time to explore the islands and waterways of this enchanting city.
The second part of your tour takes you to Provence and the inspirational landscapes that attracted many painters. Here you board another barge moored in Avignon. Visit the highlights of Van Gogh’s Provence, then wind your way through the scenic back roads and the calm waters of the Camargue. Expect easy rides with frequent stops to refuel with gelato and espresso. This is the fourth time we have taken this tour and each time, we have received very positive feedback from participants.
TOUR MANAGER Jenny Newby Fraser
TOUR DATES Tuesday 1 – Tuesday 22 September 2020 (21 nights)
- The services of an experienced New Zealand based Calder & Lawson tour manager
- Economy class airfares
- 1 nights accommodation northbound
- 2 nights Milan including airport transfers, dinner, breakfast and ½ day city sights in Milan
- 14 nights accommodation on board the barges including meals (breakfast, dinner and a self-made packed lunch)
- 1 nights accommodation in Nice
- 1 nights accommodation southbound
- Comfortable uni-sex city bikes with an upright riding position and gel saddle for your added comfort
- Electric bikes available (additional cost )
- Local guides
- All transfers by train or coach
- Admissions as indicated in the itinerary
- Tips and gratuities for guides
- Pre-tour material
PRICE Ex Auckland
Per person share twin $13,199
Single Supplement is available on request – please contact us.
GROUP SIZE Minimum 10, maximum 18